Tuesday, August 13, 2013

1st day of school sewing



My youngest is going back to the local public school this year and today was the first day of 2nd grade for her.




This little 7.5 year old is an artist and my strong willed child who knows what she wants and doesn't go with the crowd. Due to this, her clothing sometimes is a little interesting, but usually it works. Being the first day of school, she 'needed' a new dress. In reality, she really does need some new dresses because she has a lot that are way too small (over 2 years old) and worn out (worn by her sister for 1-2 years and then her for another 2 years).

She decided that she wanted an owl dress and found this cute Alexander Henry owl fabric in my stash. Then she decided she wanted to have an owl on the top. I drew one but then she wanted to draw it herself. Of course, this made the process take a lot longer in time, but turned out very cute. She picked the fabric for pieces and put them together. Picked the colors for all the fabrics. She instructed me on what type of stitch to do and drew the finer details on the owl for me to sew over them. As we went along she changed a few features in her design, but it worked out.  She specifically told me not to make the face round and keep the circle not a circle (which did drive me a little crazy).




1 comment:

Crystal said...

I love love love the owl dress! I want to learn to sew badly. I have frequent fights with my sewing machine. I need lessons. The dress is adorable and your daughter made a lovely owl :). I found your blog through ravelry; I just joined the Christian women's covered head group (username JJCrystal) so maybe we can chat there. God bless