Friday, May 11, 2012

Almost Healthy Oatmeal Cookies





Ok, they really aren't healthy, but they are a lot more healthy that most recipes and tons better than store-bought cookies. This is a mandatory apron recipe for me because I always seem to end up with either flour or batter on me.

This recipe is a work in progress. I keep decreasing the sugar and adding the healthy stuff. Here's my most recent version.

Ingredients:
1.5 cups of butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon (I put in more than this)
1/2 tsp ground cloves
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup ground wheat germ (or oat)
1/4 cup ground flax
1 cup all purpose flour
2.5 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups rolled oats

In large bowl, beat softened butter. Add sugars, baking powder & soda, and spices. Beat until mixed well.
Beat in Eggs and vanilla and mix well.
Beat in flours and wheat germ and flax. This is easier if you add them gradually.
Add the oats. I like to add half and mix with a wooden spoon and then add the rest and mix again.
*if you want chocolate, carob, or PB chips - add 1.5 cups now and mix well with wooden spoon.

Drop dough using a spoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10-12 mins, depending on your oven. Cool before sampling. These don't spread much, so spacing isn't as important as in some recipes.


No comments: